- This event has passed.
Workshop: Python for ArcGIS
February 22 @ 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Python for ArcGIS
Wednesday, February 22 2023 | 1:00 – 4:30pm
CSU Morgan Library Rm .174
Instructor: Elizabeth Tulanowski
Register here: https://forms.gle/fgcw8Bq22VKfQX3v8
Snowy day back-up plan: Given the several inches of snow in the forecast, this workshop will also be broadcast over Zoom:
Learn to use Python scripting to automate geoprocessing and data management in ArcGIS Pro with arcpy. Arcpy is the Python package created by Esri for ArcGIS and opens up a whole new world of possibilities for implementing GIS tasks.
Outline of topics:
- What is arcpy, how do you write Python code in ArcGIS Pro?
- Running geoprocessing tools
- Accessing data properties with Describe
- Automating tool processing with lists and loops
- Accessing values in a table with cursors
- Using Python in Calculate Field to clean and update tables
- … that’s probably all we’ll have time for in 3 1/2 hours but please reach out if you have additional tasks you want to learn.
This workshop is intended for those who already know the basics of the Python language including creating variables, using looping and logic, if statements, working with strings and paths, and are familiar with ArcGIS.
Computers with the necessary software will be provided in the library classroom, but you are welcome to bring your own laptop.
Instructions for how to install and authorize ArcGIS Pro can be found in this link: Steps for Installing ArcGIS Pro (on your Windows computer)
and there will be a help session Feb 22 12:30 – 1pm for anyone who needs assistance getting their laptop set up. We can get Guest accounts for anyone who needs it.