Estimating Shoreline Length of National Wildlife Refuges: Working with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Centroid interns adapted and further developed methodologies to estimate the length of shorelines for over 180 National Wildlife Refuges.
Interns: Natalie Vogel, Julia Ledford, Liam McKee, Arian Brazenwood
Brightfields: Working with Assistant Professor Scott Carman (Landscape Architecture), Centroid interns compiled spatial data to populate a web mapping application that identifies blighted or contaminated areas within Colorado that are suitable for renewable energy development. Link to Brightfields.
Interns: Luke Chamberlain, Tom Hickey, Josh Reyling
Food Access in Fort Collins: Supporting the work of local non-profit agencies through the Bohemian Foundation, the Centroid developed a web mapping application to provide detailed information about food distribution sites in relationship to populations in need during the early stages of the COVID pandemic (Spring 2020).
Intern: Caroline Norris
Prisons and Agriculture: This pilot project for researchers in the CSU Sociology Department seeks to verify agricultural activities associated with prisons in the U.S. Existing data from a variety of sources is being compared with satellite/aerial imagery to determine the context of agricultural land use as well as census-derived socio-demographic data. (Project is continuing with the development of a web mapping application and story map.)
Interns: Caroline Norris, Luke Chamberlain, Joshua Reyling, Kristin Karashinski
Secondary Cities: Secondary Cities (2C) is a project of the US Department of State. Over four years, students at CSU and interns at the Centroid supported 2C with data management, technical support, spatial analysis, and training.
Mapillary: Mapillary provides street-level imagery and map data from all over the world. Centroid interns worked with Muthu Sampath on a pilot research project to evaluate the accuracy of images.
Agrivoltaics: Sandbox Solar, a Fort Collins solar energy company, is developing and testing solar panels that can be incorporated into existing agricultural lands for energy production. Centroid interns developed a GIS project to determine the market within five Colorado counties.
Publishable Maps for History Professors: Centroid interns developed publication-quality map products for three history professors during Fall 2019.
Other past projects:
- Watershed Data Hub: organize and publish multiple spatial data layers for four watersheds in the West
- Lead Exposure in Milwaukee/Racine: prepare spatial data for use in modeling and prediction using AI and machine learning
- Calculating distances between house sale locations and park boundaries and other features
- Mapping survey responses regarding CSU Extension services to native/indigenous populations
- Estimating seagrass coverage using drone imagery, Kalamos, Greece
- 3-D geologic mapping of Owl Canyon for use as a teaching resource
- Semester at Sea: Faculty support for map development and spatial thinking
- National Park Service: Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Digitizing legacy vegetation maps
- National Park Service – Land Resources Division: depicting land ownership, uses and legal boundaries
- Rio Grande River Basin: Compiling spatial database for watershed
- National Western Center: Assessing availability of spatial data and compiling assets
- Bohemian Foundation: Community Indicators Catalog and data review
- HICAHS: Mapping results of agricultural safety trainings in three western states
- GIS in Health: Aligning census data with field observation data; distance to trauma centers in CO
- Shambhala Mountain Center: Creating geodatabase of existing data
- McKee Medical Center Foundation: Interactive web map of memorials
- The Nature Conservancy – Global Lands Team; oil/gas distribution; Rwanda gorillas/poaching
- 3D printing/GIS layers: 3D landscapes and projected GIS layers for CSU Mountain Campus
- Everitt Real Estate Center: forecast maps; sales in 3-county region; development forecasts
- CSU Affordable Housing Task Force: spatial analysis on housing cost vs salaries for CSU employees
- Civil War gunboats: spatial analysis of gunboat activity based on official record
- Crime mapping; data processing and mapping of crime statistics on reservation
- College of Agriculture: mapping student retention
- CEMML: assistance with online mapping of vegetation plots